Welcome to my no 2 blog

My main blog is Susie Vereker - writer. It's about books I've read, films, gardens esp mine, travel and the English countryside, that sort of thing.
Do leave your comments there.






Thursday 10 September 2009

US Journal review of Tropical Connections

From the US Journal Booklist. 'Claire Downing leaves her comfortable job at Sotheby’s in London to move to the Asian island of Maising after breaking up with her boyfriend. Her new venture? To catalog an art collection of a possibly shady millionaire. The work is fascinating, but her boss is mysterious with his whims and secretive air. Island society is a new experience for the reclusive Englishwoman. One of her new friends is trying to match her with the very stable, stalwart Englishman Howard. But Claire’s body reacts to Drew, the exciting Australian. Getting involved with the wrong man seems to be Claire’s specialty, as Drew keeps disappearing, and safe, thoughtful Howard keeps pressing his suit without winning her over. Gradually, the seamy side of the beautiful tropical island is exposed during the course of Claire’s work, putting her in danger, and possibly her new friends as well. As in her previous books, Vereker expertly explores a world of tight-knit British expatriates as well as the hazards and joys of a single woman abroad.'

4 comments:

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Terrific review - it must be such a great feeling to see articles in print about your work, I'll be on Amazon to get your books! Would you be open to feedback?

Susie Vereker said...

Well, naturally I prefer positive feedback, but after all these years of being published I can take the odd negative comment on the chin. Preferably in private! Thing is, I can have ten lovely reviews but one bad one sends me into deep worry mode. I know other writers are the same - even the bestsellers. So if you read any of my books, be merciful, MOB.

French Fancy... said...

What a fabulous review and it sounds so very interesting. I'm going to follow MOB's lead (hello you) and seek your out - don't worry, I'm sure my reviews will be sparkling!

I see you are now in Hampshire We were in Winchester immediately before coming out here to France. If you can park in town it is a lovely place to live.

Susie Vereker said...

Yes, we live v. near lovely Winchester. I think I've cracked the parking dilemma but it takes ages!